Thursday, July 06, 2006

Public Speaking Tip:Cursing in Public Will Get You Noticed!

The question is: Will the publicity be good or bad for your public speaking career? A few weeks ago I commented that Guy Kawasaki had an excellent presentation but I was distracted by his use of offensive language. Last week, Garr Reynolds over at Presentation Zen was surprised to hear Tony Robbins-yes that Tony, call Al Gore a son-of-a-bitch in a public presentation. Garr opined that maybe he had been living in Japan too long.

Here's my take away on why good presenters, usually male, swear in public. It's a guys way of saying I've made it and I really don't need this speaking engagement. I don't really care what the meeting planner or audience thinks-I've earned it, and frankly, I'm pretty darned important in my mind! Just my opinion but feel free to share yours.

Presentation Zen has some excellent clips you may want to review-including the one from bad boy, Tony Robbins. The presenters were given 15 to 20 minutes to present and TED (Technology, Education & Design) was kind enough to make these videos available from their February 2006 sold out event in Montreal. Here is the link: If Your Idea is Worth Spreading, Then Presentation Matters.

Steve Mertz
Should Presenters Cuss in Public?


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What offensive language did I use? "Suck"?

Guy

8:11 AM  
Blogger SEO Speaker said...

Guy-I was thinking more along the lines of your use of "bull shit" and "dumb ass". As I watched your video again I was impressed all over agin with your knowledge and passion especially when you are talking about "mantra" and "Get Going"-those are such excellent points! Am I being too picky about your language or would a meeting planner cringe during parts of your talk? Steve

12:27 PM  
Blogger SEO Speaker said...

Les-You are so much more diplomatic than me :-)
I'm jealous that if I used some of Guy's language I'd get thrown off the stage! Thanks for your input! Steve

7:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

public speaking skills are more important and useful for everyone achieve a good role or career. Effective communication and public speaking skills both are must for all especially for their career. I too learnt public speaking skills through E-learning courses. The course helped me a lot.

3:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home